Thursday, August 8, 2013

Day two....

The day started off with an interesting twist...actually it started last night. Apparently the simple task of kneeling is enough for me to pop my knee, so I was in a bit of uncomfortable-ness last night, wondering how I was going to make it through two weeks of hiking. 

After a simple breakfast of fruit, bread/pastries and yogurt, we went and bought me a knee brace. So you will see me sporting that accessory in my pictures. Anyway, it gives me enough support to where I don't feel like my knee will collapse and along with the ibuprofen, I'm happy to say I climbed all over Athens today.

We started climbing the Acropolis, seeing the Temple of Athena Nike, and the Parthenon. We went back down and over to the Agora. It was in this museum I saw my first connection to Alexander the Great. There was a large marble bust of him. 
Odeon of Herodes Atticus

The Parthenon



Ancient Agora of Athens

 I found Alexander the Great




To escape the heat because, boy, is it hot here, we had some gelato before heading to the Acropolis Museum. Another Alexander the Great bust was in there. The mythological statues are pretty amazing and it really boggles your mind when you think about how old things are and how they were made without our modern technology. It also had an interesting exhibit called Archaic Colors. I never realized that so many of these monuments and statues were originally colored. They had representations of what the originals looked like and you could really make out the colors when you could compare it to the original.

Acropolis Museum

This is what the top of one side of the Parthenon once looked like.

 Another Alexander the Great bust.


We finished the evening by touring the Theater of Dionysus. You can actually see the important seats still there and visualize performances on the stage.

Sitting in the seats at the Theater of Dionysus.

1 comment:

  1. WOW...so many amazing things to see. We enjoy it all AND we are envious of your heat. It is lovely here, we just really like summer HOT temps and would like some more 80+ days! Enjoy your travels!

    ReplyDelete